Seniors play in All-Star basketball game, Maddie Cannon awarded MVP

This past Saturday, guard Maddie Cannon and forward Avery Witt showed off their skills to the rest of the county in the annual Montgomery County girls basketball All-Star Game.

Cannon was chosen as the most valuable player in the game. She registered seven points and five rebounds in Team Maryland’s dominating 82-52 win over Team Montgomery County.

Cannon was honored to receive the game’s MVP award and attributed the award to her defense, drawing three separate charges.

“It was amazing to receive this honor because I played with the best of the best in Maryland,” she said.

Witt also made a significant contribution registering 12 points, nine of which came by her three three-pointers.

Cannon credits her selection in the all-star game and MVP honors to the work she put in with her teammates over the course of the season. The girls basketball team finished the season 21-3. The Lady Vikes went on a twenty-game winning streak before being upset by Kennedy in the second round of the playoffs.

“My team pushed me every day in practice which made me a better player,” Cannon said. “I think that transitioned into games, which led me to making the all-star game.”