Magical run ends for boys basketball in state title game

Throughout their stellar regular season and magical playoff run, the Vikings boys basketball team was able to control the pace of the game through their intense defensive pressure while also making key shots when needed. A different player seemed to emerge as a difference-maker each night, propelling the team to their first state title game appearance since 2006.

But on Saturday night, the Vikings were unable to match their success from their five playoff victories. The overpowering Wise Pumas (24-2) had height advantages at multiple positions, controlling the boards and seemingly making all of their difficult shots. The overwhelming Wise offensive attack and defensive scheme would prove too much for the Vikes, who fell 70-43 in the 4A state finals.

Senior guard Max Steinhorn throws up a layup for the Vikes on a breakaway late in the second half. Photo by Nick Anderson.

The speed and size of the Pumas was evident from the start, which played right into the weaknesses of the Vikings who were overmatched on defense. The quick Wise team was able to whip the ball around the court, shooting 17-29 from the floor in a 42-point first half while hitting only one three-pointer all game. Wise forward Trevor Brown led the charge, starting the game 6-6 and scoring a game high 15 points.

Even though they won the opening tip, the Vikes quickly found themselves in an 8-0 hole that grew to a dominant 42-15 deficit at halftime. The size of the Wise players, especially centers Micah Till and Devin Moore, clogged up the paint and forced the Vikings to speed up their game, moving them out of their comfort zone.

It became clear early that coach Chris Lun was going to try every scheme he could, subbing in big men, then shooters and switching up the defensive game plan from man-to-man to zone, but nothing proved effective against the run-away state champion Pumas.

“We tried everything,” Lun said in the team’s post-game press conference. “I don’t know if there were many teams that would have beaten them tonight.”

Lun said his game plan was to force the Pumas to take mid-range jumpers, a spot he saw a weakness in during their semifinal win over Springbrook. But the Pumas proved him wrong, knocking down these shots to take a commanding 27-point halftime lead.

The Vikes had an off shooting night and were unable to get anything to fall, shooting 1-17 from beyond the arc. Senior Alex Lesley hit the team’s only three with just four minutes remaining in the game. The team also shot just 27 percent from the field, shooting just 6-22 in the first half.

Boys basketball carries their runner-up trophy towards the Whitmaniacs, 4,000 of which showed up to the Comcast Center to watch the Vikings play Wise for the state championship title. The Whitmaniacs cheered throughout the whole game, despite the large margin of point deficit throughout the game. Photo by Nick Anderson.
Boys basketball carries their runner-up trophy towards the Whitmaniacs, 4,000 of which showed up to the Comcast Center to watch the Vikings play Wise for the state championship title Saturday. The Whitmaniacs cheered throughout the whole game, despite the large margin of point deficit. Photo by Nick Anderson.

Ten players were able to get on the board for the Vikings, but only senior Josh Fried was able to break double-digits, scoring 12 points. The Vikes’ leading scorer, sophomore Kyle Depollar, was held to just two points, both coming on free throws.

Wise, ranked third in the area by the Washington Post, was a heavy favorite entering the game, not having lost to Maryland team all season. The Vikings were no match for their athleticism, size and skill, unable to match their similar run in 2006, where they upset another powerhouse Prince George’s County opponent: Eleanor Roosevelt.

Support from the Whitmaniacs continued in full-force last night, with over 4,000 fans cheering the team on at the Comcast Center, filling Whitman’s side of the arena to the brim, with many fans staying through the trophy presentation to applaud the Vikings on their runner-up finish.

“Our support has been amazing this entire year,” senior Ben Castagnetti said. “And to see a stadium packed like that is going to be something I’ll remember forever. We put Whitman basketball back on the map and we’re definitely a force to be reckoned with.”

Even as Lun acknowledged Wise’s outstanding play, calling them “very, very, very good” and “certainly the best basketball team we’ve seen,” he and the Viking players remained positive after their best season in eight years, proving the critics wrong throughout their playoff run.

“Not many people gave us a chance,” Lun said. “It was just a great run, just an awesome season. Just awesome.”