SGA and Whitmaniacs to host pep rally for boys basketball state semifinal game

There will be a pep rally tomorrow to celebrate the boys basketball regional championship victory and pump students up for the state semifinal game.

There is usually a pep rally for teams when they are states bound, as there was for girls soccer earlier in the year. The pep rally for girls soccer was hosted after they won states, because of coach Greg Herbert’s superstition after the team lost in a state semifinal after a pep rally a few years ago. However, this pep rally will be before the state semifinals since the the basketball team has not been to a statewide championship game since 2006.

Now, eight years later, the team has begun to prepare for another state semifinal with the support of the Whitmaniacs.

“We are studying their personnel and practicing on a college floor,” guard Riley Shaver said. “We need to get used to the longer length of the court.”

Other members from the team including guard Baldwin Mugri are excited for the game as well. Mugri said playing at the Comcast Center will be a once in a lifetime experience for many of the players, and that makes it all the more exhilarating. In addition, the spirit will be unbelievable because the team is so close to a state title, he said.

“There will definitely be so much spirit and we will be super loud,” Whitmaniacs leader Libby Collett said. “Especially with the spirit buses because a lot of people will come to the game.”

Three buses will take the Whitmaniacs to the Comcast Center at the University of Maryland, where the Vikes will take on the Annapolis Panthers. Bus tickets are $10 per person, while tickets into the game will be eight dollars. Students can pre-order tickets because the line to get in is likely to be long.

Whitmaniacs and the SGA have prepared for the pep rally by contacting principal Alan Goodwin, the boys basketball team, the cheerleaders, poms and the break-dancers. Members of the boys’ basketball team will be announced during the pep rally. In addition, SGA class officer Jonny Rasch said there might be a free-throw competition between a member from each grade.

Collett has also posted a link on the Whitmaniacs page on Facebook urging everyone to come to the game dressed in white and on the spirit bus.

“It will be sick,” Collett said.