Boys basketball defeats Richard Montgomery, 40-37

After winning by a combined 44 points in their first two meetings, the Vikings were put to the test in their third match-up against the Richard Montgomery Rockets, coming back from a seven-point deficit in the fourth quarter to pull out a close 40-37 win in the sectional semifinals, Mar. 5.

Entering the fourth quarter, the Vikes found themselves down 35-28 against the 11-13 Rockets. RM then scored what would be its final basket of the game to extend its lead to 37-31 before the Vikings started their comeback.

Down by six, guard Kyle Depollar hit a three pointer to cut the Rockets’ lead to just three. The defense then stepped up as it has all season long and was able to pick up two big stops to keep the lead at a manageable three points.

Following the stops, forward Adam Lowet drove through the lane and to the hoop, making his layup and getting fouled to give him a three point play, tying the game. Another defensive stop later, guard Ben Castagnetti came through with another clutch performance, hitting a three-pointer with just a 1:40 left to take a 40-37 lead that would hold for the rest of the game.

kyeleee
Sophomore guard Kyle Depollar shoots a layup. Depollar was the lead scorer in tonight’s game against Richard Montgomery, earning 14 points for the Vikes. Photo by Nick Anderson.

It was the defense once again that came through at the end, holding the Rockets on their final possession with less than 15 seconds remaining to send the Vikings to the sectional finals on Thursday against Blair.

The Vikes found themselves in an unusual position against the Rockets and after taking a 16-8 lead after the first quarter, they were outscored by 17 in the second and third quarters combined, and 16-4 in the third quarter alone.

They would go on to take control after that, however, and score 12 of the final 14 points of the game to pick up the win.

“We realized the stakes and that those last eight minutes could be our last and we weren’t ready for our season to be over,” guard Riley Shaver said. “We buckled down and stuck to a Whitman style of defense after that and it paid off.”

The Vikes scored most of their points from three-pointers, hitting eight to only five two-point field goals. Sophomore Depollar led the team with 14 points and four threes.

The Vikes will now travel to Blair, Thurs. March 6 at 7 pm, to take on the Blazers who defeated B-CC 85-47, March 5.