Girls basketball blows out Northwood, 71-16

The Lady Vikes defeated a 2-20 Northwood team, 71-16, in their most dominating performance to date during the last game of the season, finishing off their record at 20-2.

This marks a momentous nineteenth straight victory for the team who is currently ranked eleventh in the Washington Post All-Met standings.  This is the highest ranking that coach Pete Kenah has had for any of his team’s during his 12-year tenure.

Forward and leading scorer Marie Hatch, finished off her great season by scoring a season high 22 points.  She was accompanied by freshman star Abby Meyers who contributed an additional 10 points.

“The big game was a huge confidence boost,” Hatch said.  “It was also great that my teammates were looking to create plays for me and had confidence in me.”

Every player on the team contributed to the team’s season high total.

“It was really big confidence boost,” forward Avery Witt said.  “It’s always great to have a really solid win where everyone contributes something and games like that makes us stronger.”

Although the team showed off an impressive offensive explosion, it also held Northwood to just 16 points, a season low.  It held Northwood’s highest scorer, Vanessa Santos, to only five total points as well.

This is the best result that the Vikes could have hoped for, heading into the playoffs as the top seed of their division and a favorite to make it to the state finals.

The Vikes have secured the number one seed and have a first round bye.  On a date to be determined, they will face the winner of the 12-10 Walter Johnson Wildcats and the 15-7 Blair Blazers first round playoff match-up.