Wizards achieve first winning record in four years

John Wall
Guard John Wall led the Wizards to their first winning record in four years. Photo courtesy AP.

Many things come only once every four years: the Olympics, presidential elections and a winning record for the city’s own Washington Wizards. Although falling to 26-28 since, the Wizards had a record of 24-23 after defeating the Western Conference powerhouses Oklahoma City and Portland in back-to-back games, Feb. 1 and 3.

The Wizards have been led this year by All-Star point guard John Wall, who has had a breakout season of sorts as he has played with rising star Bradley Beal in one of the NBA’s best backcourts. The two are complimented by a well-rounded starting five in which each player is averaging at least 12 points per game, with Wall and Beal leading the way with 19.8 and 16.9 points per game respectively. Wall is also averaging 8.5 assists per game, the third-best in the NBA.

Washington has the potential to be one of the top three teams in the East at end of the season, as they are currently just four games back from the third place Toronto Raptors in a weak Eastern Conference.

Wall and Beal both participated in this past weekend’s All-Star festivities, with Wall leading the East to a win in the popular Sprite Slam Dunk Contest and being named dunker of the night, as well as participating in the All-Star game and registering 12 points, 4 assists, 5 rebounds, and 2 steals. Beal was the runner-up in the Foot Locker Three-Point Shootout after an electrifying second round where Beal forced a third round shootout with eventual winner Marco Belinelli by sinking every shot on the final rack.

As the season continues, the Wizards will be looking for continued contributions from their entire roster, as coach Randy Wittman has mixed up his bench all season long, trying to find a group that can get and then keep the team above .500. Wizards fans only hope that he will find a consistent winning formula before the 2018 Winter Olympics roll around.