Girls lacrosse outclasses Walter Johnson 11–7 in regional title
Boys lacrosse season comes to a close after losing to Churchill 12–5 in regional finals
Stop indulging in fast fashion and start promoting sustainability
Softball destroys Quince Orchard 16–6 in reigonal semifinals
The Black & White’s analysis of the Washington Commanders 2024 NFL draft
The Black & White’s top 2024 Met Gala outfits

Polar Bear Plunge date moved

In an ironic, last-minute change, the Polar Bear Plunge has been moved to March 8 because of frigid temperatures. The 18-year tradition has never been cancelled before.

The Polar Bear Plunge is an annual event where thousands of participants take a dip in the Chesapeake Bay in the dead of winter. The event is a fundraiser for Special Olympics Maryland, which Best Buddies participates in.

The water is always cold when the event takes place; however, these temperatures were unprecedented.

“The tipping point was the confluence of three extremes: extreme cold, extreme weather and extreme buildup of ice in the water. We have had each of those separately, but never had all three at the same time,” said Jim Schmutz, president and CEO at Special Olympics Maryland to a WBAL reporter.

In addition, the extremely high winds of up to 30 mph caused waves up to 5 feet high, conditions unsafe for the plunge.