Girls lacrosse outclasses Walter Johnson 11–7 in regional title
Boys lacrosse season comes to a close after losing to Churchill 12–5 in regional finals
Stop indulging in fast fashion and start promoting sustainability
Softball destroys Quince Orchard 16–6 in reigonal semifinals
The Black & White’s analysis of the Washington Commanders 2024 NFL draft
The Black & White’s top 2024 Met Gala outfits

Girl Up club attends White House ceremony

Whitman’s chapter of Girl Up, an organization that partners with the United Nations to improve living conditions for girls around the world, visited the White House Tuesday after being invited to attend the welcoming ceremony for the French President.

Girl Up was one of multiple United Nations Foundation programs invited to the ceremony, said freshman Anna Makena, president of Whitman’s Girl Up chapter. The members of the club heard both President Obama and French President François Hollande speak.

The club was invited because President Hollande is involved in National Diplomacy, a UN Foundation program that is involved with Girl Up, freshman club member Maddie Wislar said.

Members of Whitman's Girl Up chapter pose for a picture on the White House lawn. The Girl Up club traveled to the White House Tuesday to celebrate the arrival of French President François Hollande.
Members of Whitman’s Girl Up chapter pose for a picture on the White House lawn. The Girl Up club traveled to the White House Tuesday to celebrate the arrival of French President François Hollande.

“It was really exciting,” Makena said. “And we got to hear the speeches in French and English which was interesting.”

The Girl Up club raises money through various fundraisers and then donates the money to charities that help girls around the world with education and health care.

Thirteen representatives from Girl Up, including five from Whitman, attended the ceremony of roughly 6,000 people.

“Seeing the president in person was really cool,” Wislar said. “He gave his speech along with the president of France, and it was all about how France and the United States have been allies, and referred to some battles in history such as the battle of Normandy. It was a great opportunity.”

In addition to listening to the speeches, the Whitman girls walked around the White House lawn and listened to military bands, Makena said.

“I wanted to become part of Girl Up because I feel lucky to have opportunities such as education and health, and I wanted to make these opportunities available to all girls,” Makena said.