Swim and Dive competes at Washington Metro Interscholastic Swimming & Diving Championship

The Washington Metro Interscholastic Swimming & Diving Championship took place this past saturday where the Viking boys took fifth place and the Lady Vikes took eighth. Churchill took home first place for the girls while Georgetown Prep took first place for the boys.

Junior Alli Holm swims the 200 IM, finishing with a time of 2:12:86. Photo courtesy Ginny Maycock.

Several swimmers either broke or made schools records, including junior Michael Sullivan who took fourth place in the 200 and 500 freestyle with a record time of 4:28.23 in the 500 race. The boys also took fourth place in the 200 medley relay, with Johnny Mooers, Stephen Pastoriza, Michael Sullivan, and Alex Vissering breaking the school record with a time of 1:37.37.

The girls team also performed at the top of its game, with senior Freestyler Sarah Kannan taking fourth place in both the 100 and 200 freestyle.

“The Whitman team really came together to put out some really fast swims,” Sarah Kannan said.

The Vikes look to use their momentum in the Regional Championships at the Martin Luther King Swim Center on Feb. 15.