Boys basketball defeats Walter Johnson in close battle, 83-79

The boys basketball team was able to hold off the 1-13 Walter Johnson Wildcats and put out a close win, 83-79, on Feb. 7 to improve its record to 13-4.

The Vikings crushed the Wildcats, 74-41, in their first game of the season but let up 32 points in the fourth quarter the second time around to almost blow what was once over a 23 point lead.

The Vikes coasted through most of the game, hitting shots to keep the lead around ten points for the first half and then went into halftime up 36-25.

Coming out in the second half it had looked like the boys had the game locked down, going up by as much as 23 points and outscoring the Wildcats 31-22 in the third. However, that lead was erased once the fourth quarter started with Walter Johnson storming back to within two points in the final minute.

The fourth quarter was sloppy for the Vikes and turnovers and missed shots put WJ in a position to come back while the team slowly watched their lead slip away.

However, the game never got closer than two points and center Josh Fried hit two huge free throws in the final 20 seconds to extend the lead to four points and end the game.

Guard Jake Kuhn, playing in his first varsity game, scored 16 points, including four threes, to help take the place of Riley Shaver who is currently out with a concussion.

Guard Kyle Depollar also added a season high 23 points and big men Josh Fried and Anton Casey added 14 and 10 respectively to help the explosive Viking offense.

This is the second game in a row, however, the Viking defense has fallen apart in the fourth quarter after also allowing 28 points to Churchill in a loss last week.

“We got up big and let up on the gas,” guard Justin Kay said. “Our defense became nonchalant and our offensive intensity dropped significantly. It was a scare but we hit big shots when we needed to and came out with the win.”

The Vikes will now return home to take on crosstown rivals B-CC, Tues. Feb. 11.