Girls basketball defeats Churchill, 53-39

girls bball
Freshman Abby Meyers drives to the hoop for a layup. Photo by Tom Knox.

The Lady Vikes defeated the 9-8 Churchill Bulldogs, 53-39, to improve to 14-2 on the season.

Freshman star Abby Meyers followed up her 13 point performance against the Poolesville Falcons with another strong 10 point outing.

Meyers is looking stronger than ever, having registered double-digit points in five of the last six games.

Forward Marie Hatch, who leads the team is scoring with 10.3 points-per-game, secured 10 points as well in the team’s dominating performance.

“I think our effort was great,” Hatch said.  “Every time we play Churchill we give it everything we have because they are one of our biggest rivals.”

The team started off the game strong as always, scoring 14 points in the first quarter, however allowing the Bulldogs to register 11 as well.

The Vikes then tightened up their defense and allowed their opponents to score just 5 points in the second quarter while putting up 19 of their own.  From then on, the Vikes kept a solid lead on the Bulldogs.

This marks the thirteenth straight win for the Vikes on their road to the division title and eventually states.

“We proved that we deserve to win the division,” Hatch said.  “We are going to have to win a few more games, but this one helped.”

The Lady Vikes will have a tough road schedule for the next three games and will face some tough opponents and rivals.  They will face the 9-7 Walter Johnson Wildcats and the 4-12 B-CC Barons on the road then travel to Richard Montgomery to face the 5-10 Rockets.

They will play the Wildcats this Friday in their next match-up and will look for their fourteenth straight win.