NFL top five: A 2013 season recap

Richard Sherman
Richard Sherman of the Seattle Seahawks hoists the NFC Championship trophy. The Seahawks defeated the Denver Broncos in the Super Bowl, 43-8. Photo courtesy Associated Press.

1. Scales tip toward the NFC

Although having an elite quarterback such as Peyton Manning or Tom Brady can lead any team to success, the NFC showed the league another recipe for victory. The Seahawks, 49ers, and Panthers relied on a lethal combination of suffocating defense, an efficient and balanced offensive attack, and incredible physicality to propel themselves to the top of the NFC. No team in the AFC boasted the same level of defensive dominance and overall balance as these NFC powerhouses.

2. Quality draft selection is more important than owning early-round draft picks

The Seahawks rode their dominant defense all the way to a Super Bowl victory. The “Legion of Boom,” Seattle’s particularly successful secondary, is almost entirely comprised of late-round picks. Although Earl Thomas, Seattle’s ball-hawking safety, was selected in the first round, Cam Chancellor, Richard Sherman, and Byron Maxwell were all selected in the fifth round or later. Super Bowl MVP Malcolm Smith was a 7th round draft pick too. Also, Russell Wilson, a third round draft pick, now has a Super Bowl ring before Andrew Luck or Robert Griffin III, two of the most highly touted quarterback prospects of all time. The Seattle front office’s success demonstrates that drafting strategically in mid and late rounds can bring just as much success as stockpiling early-round draft picks.

3. Read option doesn’t live up to the hype

After Robert Griffin III and Colin Kaepernick torched opposing defenses with their legs last year, offenses failed to replicate the same level of success using the read-option this season. Defenses adjusted to the offense and concerns about the quarterback’s heightened risk of injury prevented it from becoming a central part of any NFL offense. While the read-option fizzled, the 2013 season reinforced the importance of a mobile quarterback who can improvise when a play breaks down.

4. Brady and Belichick made it work

Despite losing his four most prolific receivers from last season, Tom Brady led the Patriots to a 12-4 record and a first-round bye. Julian Edelman became Brady’s primary target and LeGarrette Blount posted huge numbers in the final weeks of the season. The Patriots’ effort this season demonstrated their unique ability to adapt to the strengths and weaknesses of each year’s squad.

5. Momentum shifts dramatically

Last year, the Redskins caught fire down the stretch, finished the regular season on a seven game winning streak, and won the NFC East. This year, with virtually the same personnel, they were the second worst team in the league and lost their last eight games. The Eagles, on the other hand, bounced back from a 4-12 record to win the NFC East in Chip Kelly’s first season as head coach. Hopefully a new coaching staff, including new head coach Jay Gruden, will revitalize the Skins in the 2014 season.