NFL Playoff Preview

Week 17 of the NFL season proved disappointing for Maryland sports fans. The Ravens just missed out on a chance for a repeat Super Bowl run after a heart-breaking loss at Cincinnati while Washington concluded its disappointing season by ousting head coach Mike Shanahan. But have no fear, football fans, our 2014 NFL playoff preview is here.

AFC

1. Denver Broncos

The number of points this Peyton Manning-led offense has scored could be described as a mile high, with the team averaging over 37 points per game. But this Broncos squad is not a one-trick pony. They have found balance with a steady run game led by Knowshon Moreno. Although all statistics point to a Super Bowl appearance, Denver has lost to three of the other five playoff teams, including two of its potential divisional round opponents in Indianapolis and San Diego.

2. New England Patriots

Although they have been fighting injuries the entire year, these Patriots have proven to be resoundingly resilient. With the neutralist personality of Bill Belichick keeping the Pats afloat, New England has not needed to use the loss of All-Pro tight end Rob Gronkowski as a scapegoat. With Tom Brady, the greatest quarterback of this generation, commanding the offense, these Patriots should be considered a threat to cross the Delaware River into New Jersey for the Super Bowl.

3. Cincinnati Bengals

Long considered the up-and-coming team of the AFC North, the Bengals finally earned their stripes by winning a division long-controlled by the Ravens and Steelers. The league’s third ranked defense pounces on opposing quarterbacks, while the offensive duo of QB Andy Dalton and WR A.J. Green finish the kill. Most importantly, the Bengals have already had success against their potential opponents, having already defeated San Diego, their wild-card round matchup, and New England, their only potential divisional round opponent.

4. Indianapolis Colts

This streaky Colts team has proven it doesn’t need luck to beat the NFL’s best, having defeated Seattle, Denver, San Francisco and wild-card opponent Kansas City earlier this year. Although mid-season acquisition Trent Richardson has struggled, these young Colts have ridden the arm of sophomore Andrew Luck to the AFC South crown. Indy has struggled as of late however, showing vulnerability in losses to Miami, St. Louis and Arizona. Don’t underestimate the intangibles of this fourth seed though; the Colts’ now cancer-free coach Chuck Pagano inspired his team to jump from the worst team in the league to the playoffs only a year ago. We’ll see how the Colts do now that they’re off to the races.

5. Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas City pulled an Indy, going from worst to wild-card after one season. Offseason acquisition Alex Smith has stabilized the team at quarterback, and veteran coach Andy Reid has been a chief contributor to this team’s improvement. Although KC started 9-0, they ended the season on a 2-5 skid. The Chiefs benefited from an easy schedule early in the year, but they’ll need to turn things around quickly if they have any chance of defeating a Colts team that they lost to earlier this season.

6. San Diego

Entering week 17, the Chargers were a long-shot to make the playoffs. They needed to defeat the playoff-bound Chiefs and get help from the Jets and Bengals. After New York and Cincinnati knocked out Miami and Baltimore respectively, San Diego controlled its own destiny. Although Kansas City played its back-ups, the Chargers needed a missed field goal, blown penalty call and gutsy fake punt to bolt into the playoffs. Never underestimate an underdog though; this Philip Rivers-led team has already beaten the Colts, Eagles and most notably, the Broncos.

NFC

1. Seattle Seahawks

Led by a soaring defense and supported by a deafening home crowd, Seattle is the odds-on favorite to win the NFC. A balanced offense and suffocating secondary known as “The Legion of Boom” make the Seahawks a tough out for any team. At home, where Seattle will play throughout the entire playoffs, they’ve lost only one game in the past two seasons. Recently, however, they’ve showed signs of weakness, losing to both the Cardinals and 49ers. Second-year Pro Bowl quarterback Russell Wilson and bruising Pro Bowl running back Marshawn Lynch will lead this team on their quest to fly to their first Super Bowl victory after two consecutive early playoff exits.

2. Carolina Panthers

Much like Seattle, this team profits from a tenacious defense and a mobile quarterback. The Panthers ended the year on an 11-1 run, their lone setback coming on the road against the New Orleans Saints. Pro Bowl inside linebacker Luke Kuechly leads Carolina’s second ranked defense, QB Cam Newton has finally matured after a sophomore slump and head coach “Riverboat Ron” Rivera is one of the brightest minds in the game. They’ll be hoping that Seattle falls in the divisional round, as they were already tamed by the Seahawks in Week 1 at home. Ugly losses to Buffalo and Cardinals humbled this team early on, and they’ll need to avoid the same mistakes they made to stand any chance of getting to New York in February.

3. Philadelphia Eagles

Saint Nick came early for the Eagles this year. Nick Foles took over at quarterback after Michael Vick went down with an injury, and Philadelphia took off and never looked back, sneaking into the playoffs by defeating the injury-riddled Dallas Cowboys in a winner-take-all game in Week 17. With Chip Kelly’s weapon-filled spread offense that throws so many different looks at defenses, any team would have a hard time keeping up with this team. However, the offense slowed down in the second half of the season, and may be fading at the wrong time.

4. Green Bay Packers

With last week’s victory over their division rival Chicago, the Pack has proven it can do anything when Aaron Rodgers is at the helm. Just when they looked like they would have to pack up their bags early this year, Rodgers threw a long touchdown to Randall Cobb on 4th down, a play that left the Bears green with envy. With an improved running game led by rookie Eddie Lacy, don’t be surprised if the Packers pull an upset or two and Lambeau leap into the Super Bowl for the second time in four years.

5. San Francisco 49ers

One of the most terrifying fifth seeds in recent memory, the 49ers arguably have a better team than last year’s squad which came one play away from striking Super Bowl gold. Early-season struggles prevented them from winning the NFC West, but this team can beat anybody. This team would love to have a chance to take down division rival Seattle. The teams so stylistically similar and successful that their rivalry has become increasingly fierce the last few years. Michael Crabtree has returned to bolster a 49er passing attack that already boasts stars like Vernon Davis and Anquan Boldin. On the other side of the ball, inside linebackers Patrick Willis and Navorro Bowman lead one of the best defensive fronts in the league.

6. New Orleans Saints

Usually a sixth-seeded team isn’t widely considered a Super Bowl contender. That’s not the case with the Saints. Although they’ll struggle away from the Superdome, where they went 8-0 this year, the Saints have a passing attack that was the best in the conference. The combo of quarterback Drew Brees and athletic tight end Jimmy Graham gives all defensive coordinators fits. With a dramatically improved defense, the Saints might have enough to march into the Super Bowl once again.

Now, our Super Bowl predictions.

Scott:

Seattle Seahawks 24, Denver Broncos 21

Sebastian:

New England Patriots 21, Carolina Panthers 17