Girls soccer defeats Catonsville 2-0, wins class 4A State Championship

Midfielder Aliza Wolfe lined up for yet another corner kick; the team had tried to score countless times to no avail. But finally, after dominating possession and numerous close calls, the Vikes put all the pieces together as Wolfe’s corner kick flew through the air, setting up midfielder Anna Gurney for a perfect header sent straight to the back of the net. Four minutes later, Gurney scored again, propelling the 16-1-1 girls soccer team to a 2-0 victory over the 17-2 Catonsville Comets and securing a State Championship victory.

The Vikes continued their season-long offensive dominance right into the finals, controlling the ball for the majority of both halves, but missed several opportunities early in the game.

Converted_file_1c7fc8d7
Defender Lindsay Wytkind keeps the ball away from a Catonsville player. Photo by Nick Anderson.

The Vikings started off with a corner kick and a few shots on goal within the first five minutes but were unable to capitalize on goal opportunities.

After Whitman defense stopped a short Comet charge, the girls took over on offense again and had two strong shots, first by forward Clare Severe, and then by midfielder Maddie Parker, which both slightly missed the net over the crossbar.

Catonsville’s best chances to score dwindled with the end of the first half. The Comets received a direct kick near the right corner towards the beginning of the second half, which was cleared out by the powerful Viking defense. Then, the Comets took their second of two corner kicks and sent the ball right in front of the net once more, only to be cleared again.

The beginning of the second half started the same way, with the Vikes missing on a few fast break chances and not being able to score on the many corner kick opportunities early on.

But the team never lost focus and was able to keep the opportunities coming.

“It was all about composure,” Gurney, said. “We stayed composed and knew we had time to score so we just kept trying to get the ball up near the goal.”

However, as they had done all season, the Vikes tired out the Comets. With less than nine minutes left, a fight for the ball left defender Emily Martin with an open net and a chance to take the lead, but the ball hit the right post. The ball then bounced around and was sent out of bounds, giving the Vikes another corner kick and setting up Gurney’s first goal.

Converted_file_3dcdadcd
The girls soccer team members pose with their trophies for a championship photo. Photo by Nick Anderson.

“It meant the world to me,” Gurney said. “It was an amazing cross by Aliza and the lead helped us gain confidence because we knew at that point we could win the game.”

The victory was then sealed, with four and a half minutes left, on another goal by Gurney on a cross from midfielder Kristen Bissell.

It became clear the Vikes would leave the UMBC campus with their second ever State Championship and first for coach Greg Herbert, who lost in the finals in 2005 during his first season as a Whitman coach.

“This win has been six years in the making,” Herbert said. “These groups of seniors were with me at Pyle when they were 7th graders and I had a feeling even then that this was a special group of girls.”

Gurney, who has played for Herbert for six years, agreed.

“It was the best feeling,” Gurney said. “For Aliza, Emily and I who have all been on varsity four years, we’ve dreamt about this day since freshman year and it felt like all of our work as a team had finally paid off.”

The win capped off a season that had been filled with support from the school and the Whitmaniacs club, which sent three full spirit buses and many other students to the finals.

“The fans were amazing this season, “Herbert said. “We are so lucky to have such dedicated support from the staff and student body.”