Girls soccer defeats Blair, 3-0, advances to sectional finals

The second-seeded girls soccer team pushed past the third-seeded Blair Blazers, 3-0, tonight, and secured a sectional finals match-up against the Churchill Bulldogs.

Once again, the Vikes were able to open up with a strong first half and create many scoring chances around the net.

Midfielder Anna Gurney got the scoring going just 20 minutes in with a shot from right outside the box that rolled past the diving goalkeeper to give the Vikes an early lead.

Twelve minutes later, forward Abby Meyers scored her team-leading eighth goal of the season to increase the team’s lead to 2-0 going into halftime.

The score then remained 2-0 until Gurney tacked on her second goal of the game, and eighth of the year, in the 50th minute, further increasing the Vikes’ lead to 3-0.

The Vikes created many scoring chances throughout the game but were unable to capitalize on a few corner kicks and chances around the box that would have increased the lead even more.

Similar to their first round match up against Richard Montgomery, the Vikes were able to limit the Blazers’ shots on goals and offensive possessions en route to recording their tenth shutout of the season.

“I appreciate the defense so much and to have such a strong defense in front of me is amazing,” goalie Erin McClanahan said. “It’s definitely a lot less stressful.”

Following the Viking game at five, the B-CC Barons faced off against Churchill in what was supposed to be another win for the Barons who were looking to advance to states for the sixth straight season.

The game, however, did not go as planned and the Barons lost to the Bulldogs, 2-0, in an upset.

“We are so excited,” McClanahan said. “We are definitely surprised but it will be awesome.”

This, instead, sets up a match-up against the 11-3-1 Bulldogs who the Vikes beat 2-1 in a double overtime thriller, Oct. 7, and takes away the chance for revenge against the Barons, who the Vikes fell to in their only loss of the season, Oct. 9.

The game against the Bulldogs will be the sectional finals, sending the winner to the regional championship against the winner of the Wootton vs. Quince Orchard on Nov. 1. The team’s next match-up will be held at 7:15, Nov. 1 at Wootton.