Girls soccer loses to B-CC 2-1, ends winning streak

Fighting through a cold, rainy night the girls soccer team fell to the 9-1-1 BCC Barons, suffering their first loss of the season 2-1, Oct. 9.

The 7-1-1 Vikes took an early 1-0 lead in the second half, but the Barons scored two unanswered goals to take control of the game, holding the Vikes off to secure their win.

The first half of the game was back and forth, with neither team having as many goal scoring chances as they would have liked. 10 minutes into the second half, however, midfielder Aliza Wolfe broke a scoreless tie with a long free kick goal that bent around the defense and past the frozen Barons goalie.

The Vikes then took control of the game for the next 10 minutes until BCC got off a shot from right outside the box and scored on a goal right over goalie Erin McClanahan’s outstretched hands.

Seven minutes later the Barons scored again on a long finesse shot that landed right past McClanahan and into the goal, to the surprise of McClanahan and the Vikes.

The girls then went all out for the final minutes of the game, trying to convert on any opportunity they could get.

After a missed corner and free kick late in the game, the Vikes desperately tried to get a shot on goal but were unable to.

The game was thought of as redemption by the girls who suffered a tough loss to the Barons in last year’s regional final game.

“We really wanted to beat them because they are our biggest rival but also to avenge the loss we had to them last year,” McClanahan said. “I was tough but now we have to look ahead to playoffs and our final three games.”

The loss also handed the Vikes their first loss of the season and kept them in second place in the division behind BCC.

The girls will look to rebound from their loss at the 1-4 Kennedy Cavaliers, Oct. 9, before returning home for their final two regular season games.