Boys soccer falls to B-CC in rainy conditions, 4-0

The boys soccer team suffered a tough 4-0 loss to the 3-5 B-CC Barons last night making its current record 5-3-1.

The Vikes were on a short win-streak after defeating two tough opponents: the Gaithersburg Trojans and Churchill Bulldogs. However, they were surprisingly unable to have any success against B-CC, a team whose record shows that they would be less of a challenge.

The Barons scored early in the first half due to a defensive mishap caused by the rain.

The Vikes looked like they had a chance of coming back until Baron mid-fielder Khalid Scriven registered one goal with a minute left in the first half and then another 30 seconds later.

Defenseman Jorge Richardson credits part of the loss to over-confidence.

“The biggest thing that we took out of today’s game is how important our attitude going into the game is,” Richardson said. “We heard that B-CC had lost to Churchill 3-0 the other day…some of us thought that we could walk on the field and we would win.”

The team’s usually strong defense was unable to stop the Barons later in the second half when they recorded a fourth goal to put the game out of reach.

The Vikes are dealing with several injuries.  Defensemen Lucas Knight and Simon Amat have been out for several games now and mid-fielder Davey Mason, one of team’s strongest offensive players, has recently been injured.

The offense of the Vikes has been lackluster at best this season.  With the season coming to an end, the team will need to find a more efficient way to score goals, especially now that Mason is out.

The team has three games remaining in the season and is looking to finish off with a bang against the number one rated team in the country, St. Benedicts.

“I believe that if we all put on our ‘A’ game, we have the talent and potential to beat them,” Richardson said.