Girls soccer wins injury-ridden match against Churchill, 2-1

The girls soccer team picked up a hard-fought, back and forth, double overtime win against the 5-3-1 Churchill Bulldogs, Oct. 8, 2-1.

The girls overcame injuries to starters, Bahar Ulusan, Michelle Innerarity, and Emily Martin who returned later in the game.

“We played for them,” midfielder Kristen Bissell said.

The Vikes took the lead early with a goal by Emma Anderson in the 20th minute on a capitalized breakaway opportunity.

The game then became a back and forth battle with both teams frequently creating scoring chances.

Both goalie Erin McClanahan and defender Emily Martin had key stops late in the first half to keep the girls up 1-0 going into the half.

The second half started off the same way with both teams creating their own scoring opportunities. The Bulldogs finally broke through after a hand ball gave the Bulldogs a free kick right outside the box. The shot went right over McClanahan and under the bar to even the game at one goal a piece.

The game then remained a tie through the rest of the first half, sending the game into overtime where neither team was able to score.

Two minutes into the second overtime, Innerarity and midfielder Aliza Wolfe got tangled with two Churchill defenders, causing a knee injury for Innerarity.

After the long injury timeout, Wolfe had a long free kick that she sent into the box and found a way past the Churchill goalie, untouched.

The win was a big one for the Vikes, keeping them undefeated and giving them a big win over as strong division opponent.

“We proved to ourselves that we could rise to a challenge and stay focused the whole game,” Bissell said. “I was really proud of the team for stepping up.”

The Vikes take on another strong division opponent Wed. Oct. 9 as they face the powerhouse BCC Barons at home.