Girls soccer shuts out Richard Montgomery, 4-0

The girls soccer team rebounded from a tough first half to shut out the Richard Montgomery Rockets, 4-0, Oct. 3.

The Vikes struggled to score in the first half and weren’t able to convert on any of the 14 shots they had.

The second half, however, was a different story. The Vikes came out strong and a goal five minutes into the half by midfielder Anna Gurney put the girls up 1-0.

The rest of the half was then dominated by freshman forward Abby Meyers who recorded a hat trick and iced the game for the Vikes.

Meyers’ first goal came just 10 minutes after Gurney’s on a header through the box. She then scored less than two minutes later on a shot from the right side. Meyers completed her hat trick with less than eight minutes remaining in the game on a breakaway goal.

Once again the girls put up a strong offensive attack while limiting the Rockets’ time of possession.

The shutout marks the fifth straight game the Vikes have not allowed a goal and is the team’s sixth in seven games.

“Our defensive works really well together and our formation lets us always have people on the ball,” goalie Erin McClanahan said.

The strong defense has made McClanahan’s job easier also with opposing teams having less opportunities to score.

The Vikes take on strong divisional opponent Churchill at home, Mon. Oct. 7. The game starts off a big week for the team, who will also face the 7-2-1 crosstown rival BCC Barons at home, Wed. Oct. 9.