NFL season: Top 5 things you need to know

After an offseason marked by positive drug tests, eight-figure contracts and ESPN segments revolving around controversial Heisman winner Johnny Manziel, football is finally here. RG3 is back, Ray Lewis is gone, and the field is wide open. Here are the top five things to keep an eye on this NFL Season:

5. The Balance Between the Ground and Pass Game

In the last few years the NFL has seen an influx of athletic playmakers at the quarterback position. Offenses are most dynamic when the ball is in the hands of dual-threat quarterbacks such as Colin Kaepernick, Robert Griffin III, and Russell Wilson. This season, offensive coordinators will call increasingly more pass plays—seeking to give their most potent offensive weapons a chance to sway the course of the game. If a designed pass play falls apart, these quarterbacks can scramble and extend the play. In week one, only two running backs—the Patriots’ Shane Vereen and the Eagles’ Lesean McCoy—eclipsed the 100 yard mark, while 12 quarterbacks threw for over 300 yards and three threw for over 400.

4. The Dramatically Changed Patriots Offense

Tom Brady lost his four top targets during the offseason, and the Patriots’ offense enters the season as less of a threat than it has been in years.  Wes Welker, Brady’s former go-to receiver, chose to join Peyton Manning and the Denver Broncos rather than resign with the Patriots. Over the summer former tight end Aaron Hernandez was arrested on charges of murder. Rob Gronkowski, the Patriot’s biggest threat in the red zone, has undergone four forearm surgeries since breaking his arm last year, and has yet to return to action. He also required offseason back surgery. Additionally, the Patriots elected not to resign Brandon Lloyd, Brady’s number two receiver last year. Recently, Shane Vereen, an emerging reliable target for Brady, was injured and underwent wrist surgery: he is out indefinitely.  Although the Patriots currently lack playmakers on offense, they have Tom Brady and will likely be just fine.

3. NFC East

The NFC East is wide open going into the season. Griffin’s health remains a question mark and it remains to be seen whether the Redskins can replicate last season’s dominant performance on the ground. While the Giants have locked in receiver Victor Cruz to a new contract, their success hinges on Eli Manning, who has already thrown 7 interceptions this season. As of now, it is unclear if he can return to the level he performed at during the Giants’ successful 2011-2012 Super Bowl campaign. Tony Romo has the talent to win a super bowl, but the Cowboys have been thoroughly mediocre for three years in a row and could be 6-10 or 10-6. Finally, the Eagles will improve off last year’s dreadful performance, and are the dark horse in the division race. If Chip Kelly’s high octane offense proves successful, The Eagles have a legitimate chance to take the division crown, but their defense remains suspect.

2. Sophomore Slump

Last year, RG3, Andrew Luck, Colin Kaepernick and Russell Wilson shocked NFL fans and posted unusually impressive rookie campaigns (Kaepernick was not a rookie, but had never started before). Don’t be surprised if these young talents cannot replicate their rookie success. All four are tremendous playmakers and will no doubt have great games, but defenses will begin to adjust and limit the damage they can do with their legs. Also, don’t be surprised if Ryan Tannehill, who is often overshadowed by the others, turns out to be the most impressive quarterback of the bunch.

1. Read Option

Last year, RG3, Wilson, and Kaepernick terrorized defenses with the read-option—an option play in which the quarterback either hands the ball to the running back or pulls it out of the back’s grasp at the last second and runs with it himself. This scheme was successful in part because it often neutralized the defense’s best player. Expect defenses to catch up this year and demonstrate more success in stopping the read option. Additionally, offenses will likely employ the read option less frequently this season in attempt to preserve their quarterback’s health, as the read-option exposes the quarterback to hard hitting defenders eager to take a shot at him.