Junior selected for Olympic Development Program soccer team, shows promise

While most Whitman students are chowing down on turkey with family this Thanksgiving, junior Clare Severe will be playing soccer in Boca Raton as part of the U.S. Olympic Development program (O.D.P.). 

Severe, who joined the girls varsity soccer team her freshman year, spent the summer playing soccer around the Mid-Atlantic and impressing coaches from the O.D.P. and other programs.

Along with junior forward Emma Anderson, Severe was selected to attend a five-day O.D.P. summer camp for the best players in Maryland. The program is designed to improve the quality of the men and women’s national teams by training the country’s premier young players and offering the best coaching available.

Severe said the most exciting moment at camp was when two professional players, Heather O’Reilly and Sydney Leroux, made an appearance. O’Reilly and Leroux play for the Boston Breakers in the National Women’s Soccer League. They have both been played for the U.S. national team and O’Reilly has won three Olympic gold medals.

claresevere
Junior Clare Severe plays aggressively for the Vikes. Severe was recently selected for the ODP regional team and will be scouted by colleges from across the country. Photo courtesy Clare Severe.

Near the end of the camp, Severe tried out for the regional team, which represents the east coast states north of the Carolinas, and made it. There are four regional teams in the country, all of which will travel to Boca Raton, FL over Thanksgiving weekend to play each other in front of coaches from the U.S. national team and colleges across the country.

“All of the players are really good, so I will have to work really hard to get playing time,” Severe said. “If I stand out, I could get called to a national team camp.”

While Severe hopes to impress the national team coaches, she has already impressed several college coaches by participating on her club team, the MSC Coyotes.

The Coyotes, made up of local players, won the U14 national championship in 2012 and receive lots of attention from college coaches.

In addition to playing for her club team, Severe also played at a college clinic to build coaches’ interest. Her goal is to play for a college team that has a strong mix of quality soccer and quality education.

“I haven’t received any formal offers yet,” Severe said. “But two coaches told me that they want me on their team.”

This fall, Severe returns to Jerome Marco Stadium as a captain for varsity girls soccer.

Gregory Herbert, who has coached Severe for the past three years, had only fond words about her.

“Clare is one of the most dedicated and skilled players I have had,” Herbert said. “Her combination of speed and skill is deadly.”

With Severe helping to lead the charge, The Gazette and The Washington Post each ranked Whitman in their season preview as the second best public school team in the county behind BCC, suggesting a state championship is within reach.

Severe has played well and scored three goals already this season. The Vikes hope to continue their winning streak next Monday against Blair.

“Our goal every season is to win states,” Severe said. “And with this group of players, I think we can.”