Students, coach awarded All-Met status

After a successful spring sports season, the Washington Post awarded All-Met status to coach Kirk Shipley and a number of student athletes.

The All-Met first teams consist of the best high school athletes from the D.C. metropolitan area. Students from both private and public schools in Maryland, D.C. and Virginia are eligible.

Leading the charge for the Vikings were sophomore Clare Severe and senior Caroline Crawford, who were named to the teams in track and rowing respectively.

Severe won both the 800 and 1600-meter races at the outdoor state championships last month.

This award marked Severe’s second All-Met team placement and third state championship of the year. After winning the 1600-meter race at the indoor state championships, Severe was given an honorable mention during the winter season.

Despite her success so far, Severe is still focused on getting better.

“A lot of female distance runners get slower as they get older,” Severe said. “I just want to improve my time.”

Senior Pat Hisle and junior Drew Aherne were also given honorable mentions on the baseball team after two strong seasons at the plate and on the field.

But the girls rowing All-Met team featured more students than any other team this year. Along with Crawford, senior Alyssa Vasilou was given an honorable mention and history teacher Kirkland Shipley was named coach of the year.

Crawford is also veteran of All-Met, as this year is her second consecutive season on the first team.

“Caroline is one of a kind,” Shipley said. “When she is in the boat she just kills it.”

The Viking rowers found success this year at the Stotesbury Cup regatta, at which schools from around the country compete. Whitman’s top boat finished third in the country and first of all D.C. area schools.

Shipley attributed the team’s success and his award to the athletes.

“We had a great senior class and the juniors weren’t content with being second fiddle” Shipley said. “There were just so many kids pushing each other to get better.”