AP Psychology exam retakes inefficient

Some AP Psychology students were in for a surprise when they returned from semester break. Because an unusually large number of students did poorly on the exam, teachers required students who scored below a “B” on the semester exam to retake it until they earned a “B” or higher. Teachers calculated the retakes as part of students’ third quarter grades, but students’ first semester final grade remained unchanged.

While teachers were aiming to help students master first semester material through retakes, the method used was ineffective. When students score poorly on final exams, teachers should host review sessions to teach the most important parts of the material and offer only one, not multiple retake opportunities afterwards.

Teachers had various retake policies. One offered two test-form retakes and a comprehensive open-note packet to complete if the students didn’t earn at least a “B” by their third try. Another offered one test-form retake and an opportunity to make test corrections for the points, and one teacher didn’t offer retakes at all. In order to be fair, teachers should’ve practiced the same retake policy in all classes.

Teachers argue that having students take the exam repeatedly will better prepare them for the AP exam by encouraging them to study the material. But when students had multiple retakes to fall back on, they didn’t feel pressured to learn the material again.

One student who took the exam three times said she felt little motivation to study for a test administered long after the original exam, especially since her classmates, who earned A’s and B’s, were exempt from having to complete retakes. Instead, she said that she was eventually able to earn a “B” on her third try with minimal studying because she had become familiar with the types of questions asked on the test.

Teachers should also take into account that students who did poorly on the semester exam may still have understood the material. Some students choose not to study for the final because going A-A-C still guarantees them an “A” for the semester. Yet even these students had to take the exam again. Students who earned A-A didn’t need the retakes to ensure their mastery.

If AP Psychology teachers want students to learn the first semester material, they should instead reteach the material that poor scorers missed on the exam. Rather than hoping students will study on their own, which often doesn’t happen, teachers could hold three after-school review sessions to cover the most important information. The review session would amount to three hours of teachers’ time, less than they spent repeatedly writing and administering retakes.

Teachers could then offer one retake at the end of the third session so that students will be motivated to focus during the review. By taking a more active role in students’ learning and not handing out retakes, teachers will better prepare students for the AP Psychology exam.