The Black & White’s top 2024 Met Gala outfits
The evolution of tipping culture
Baseball advances to regional finals after beating Churchill 2–1
The best movies to watch to study for your AP history exam
A guide to the May 14th Primary Elections
HVAC system malfunction causes evacuation, disrupts student testing

Gerfen leads boys soccer past Patriots

Varsity boys soccer defeated the Wootton Patriots 2-0, Oct 31, in the first round of the state playoffs.

Despite sloppy field conditions and a steady rain, the boys were able to control the ball for the majority of the game and move the ball up field.

The Vikings got several good looks at the goal early, including shots from attackers Bruno Velloso and Spencer Batista that missed the goal by only a few inches.

The Vikes were able to break through with ten minutes remaining in the first half when attacker Scott Gerfen sprinted past Patriot defenders and blasted a shot that rattled off of the outer post and into the net, giving the boys a 1-0 half time lead.

The Viking defense held tough in the second half with strong play from Dominick Yin, Stephen Rodan, and Aaron May. However, May received a yellow card after the referee made a questionable call late in the half.

For the remainder of the game, the Vikes continued to thwart any opportunities that the Patriots created.

The boys put the game away for good when Gerfen scored again with only four minutes left in the game, this time with a chip shot that went right over Wootton’s goalie.

The team will play Blair in the second round, who the Vikes ended their season to last year, on Nov 3.