• Whitman Idol is being held on April 25. Auditions are March 23 and 24 after school in the Music Hall.

• The media center is looking for poetry submissions during April. Stop by the media center for more info.

Feb. 21 Sports Recap

Hockey uses two goal second period against South River to propel themselves into semifinals

The hockey team skates their way past South River and into the semifinals where they'll face Marriotts Ridge. Photo by Tiger Björnlund.

By Amy Nankin

Hockey

The Vikings hockey team defeated the South River Seahawks 6–1 Tuesday in the state quarterfinals.

For the second game in a row, junior captain Tiger Björnlund kicked off the game sinking the first goal of the match five minutes into the first period. The Seahawks matched the Vikings with a power play goal during the last two minutes of the period, yet the Vikings came back with a second goal closing out the period. The Vikes stayed strong throughout the second period, scoring two goals. The squad kept up their streak until the end of the game with six final goals.

This critical win qualified the team for the state semifinals where they will take on the Marriotts Ridge Mustangs Thursday 5 p.m.