Whitman Idol 2016: highlights

After being postponed twice due to snow, Whitman Idol kicked off LLS month with a bang, bringing in over $2300. 

The 13 performers included three freshmen, two sophomores, five juniors and three seniors.

“I think we actually have a younger group, we have a few more freshmen and that’s really cool that they’re really talented and bringing the energy up,” teacher sponsor Sheryl Freedman said.

The contestants sang a variety of songs ranging from Bryan Eng’s performance of the classic “At Last” by Etta James from 1961 to Kasey Donaldson’s rendition of Adele’s recent hit “Hello”.

During intermission audience members flooded the voting booths. After Leadership tallied the votes, junior Stefanie Abramowitz came out on top with her rendition of Nina Simone’s “Feelin’ Good” and freshman Cami Stilwell was runner up with her performance of “Here” by Alesia Cara.

Abramowitz was the fourth consecutive junior to claim the title. This was her third year competing in idol.

“It feels fabulous,” Abramowitz said after winning. “Three times the charm.”

Freshman Cami Stilwell is the second consecutive freshman to be runner-up.

“It’s insane. I did not expect it at all. I was so surprised,” Stillwell said. “Especially as a freshman, I did not think I was gonna win and there was a couple of really good freshman.”

Stilwell not only had to compete against 12 of her talented peers, but also her sister, senior Jadie Stilwell. They joked about the competition, but said they were very supportive of each other.

Song choice was one of the judges biggest criticisms for some contestants. Some contestants received outstanding remarks from the judges and others received more mixed criticism.

“I think they are pretty good. I think it wasn’t balanced. I think there were some top heavy talent out there, but I think there were some people that just kind of showed up.” judge and science teacher Peyton Ford said during intermission. “ I think I’d give it to them for being up there in front of their peers. I really do it’s tough to do that.”

The next event of LLS month will be Battle of the Bands this Friday. Come out to support LLS and more talented performers.