Virgin Mobile FreeFest to return this fall

By Julia Medine

It’s official: Virgin FreeFest will return to Merriweather Post Pavilion this fall, a spokesperson for the festival confirmed to the Black & White.

The music festival will be at Merriweather for the fourth straight year, but the performance line-up and date are still to be announced, festival spokesperson Audrey Fix Schaefer said.

Skrillex performs for thousands of fans at the 2012 Virgin Mobile FreeFest on Oct. 6, 2012. FreeFest will return to Merriweather Post Pavilion this summer for its fourth straight year. Photo courtesy Paul Morigi / InVision for Virgin Mobile.

Since 2009, tickets have been available for free online, “to lighten things up in the face of a rough economy while drawing more attention to youth homelessness,” according to the Festival’s website. Instead of charging for tickets, attendees are encouraged to donate to various charities or volunteer for local non-profits.

Jack White, Skrillex and ZZ Top headlined last year’s FreeFest, which drew the festival’s largest crowd ever – 50,000 people. Previous headliners have included The Black Keys, Deadmau5, Pavement, and Weezer.