Baseball advances to regional finals after beating Churchill 2–1
The best movies to watch to study for your AP history exam
A guide to the May 14th Primary Elections
HVAC system malfunction causes evacuation, disrupts student testing
Girls lacrosse falls to Sherwood 10–9 in county championships
Whitman ranked second-best high school in Maryland, 139th nationally

Students take part in annual Turkey Chase

On Nov. 25, thousands of local runners navigated through the Maplewood community in the 28th annual Turkey Chase in downtown Bethesda.

The race, starting at the Bethesda-Chevy Chase YMCA, took place on Old Georgetown Road and several neighborhood roads throughout the Bethesda area.

The Turkey Chase consisted of several events, including a 10K run, a 2-mile run/walk and a 50-meter Tot Trot race for children under the age of eight .

First founded in 1982, the Turkey Chase is the largest race in Montgomery County and raises money for a variety of charities sponsored by the Bethesda-Chevy Chase Rotary Club Foundation and the B-CC YMCA.

Many students use the race as a way to start Thanksgiving with exercise.

“It’s great to do on Thanksgiving because you can fully enjoy your huge meal later on and not feel guilty at all,” junior Kaitlin Payne said.

However, some take part purely because of their love for running.

“I took part in the Turkey Chase because I love to run, it’s for charity and it’s a fun thing to do with your friends,” junior Alexandra Phillips said.

Phillips finished first overall in her age group for the 10K, while former Whitman standout runners Leslie Morrison (‘08) and Andrew Palmer (‘10) finished first in their respective age groups as well.

In addition to the prizes given to the first five finishers in each age group, the race also offers the High School Principal’s Prize, which awards the high school with the most participants a $1000 scholarship for the school to use at its own discretion. Walter Johnson received the scholarship this year, with 1,268 people in attendance.

“It’s a really fun way to participate in something as part of your community, even if we didn’t get the prize,“ junior Omid Vatandoost said.

Payne also saw the race as a chance to not only keep in shape, but to spend more time with her family, which makes it that much more of a Thanksgiving event.

“My family always does it,” she said. “I always run with my dad who pushes me to run faster and farther than I would on my own.”