Wagman continues passion for volleyball through coaching

While most people can only reminisce on their high school years, former Viking Meryl Wagman (’01) is still living with her passion she found as a student.

Wagman, who graduated from Whitman in 2001, took the Lady Vikes to the second round of the playoffs this season. Photo courtesy Meryl Wagman.

She currently coaches the varsity girls varsity volleyball team and has cherished every moment of it.

“I love the sport, so I wanted to pass my knowledge and passion to a younger generation,” Wagman said.

She added that aside from a couple of rule changes, there wasn’t much difference. Wagman had many positive thoughts on her seasons as a player.

“My favorite memories were the friends I made from the team,” Wagman said when asked about her favorite memories from her playing days.

Wagman was a sophomore on JV when the varsity team won the state title, and she went on to play varsity where she helped the team to two consecutive undefeated seasons.

“When I was on varsity, we all wanted to win states again,” she said. “We never made it, but we still worked hard fun growing as a team.”

Before began coaching, Wagman taught children with autism. When she became coach of the team last season, she knew that the most important factors that went into the team’s success were those she had when she was a player.

“My theory is that hard work plus fun equals success, and the team playing to the best of their ability,” she said.

Each day, Wagman starts off practice by leading the girls through dynamic warm-ups, followed by drills that target offensive and defensive fundamental skills. She then ends the practice with a fun game like “queen of the court”, or team oriented activities that mimic game situations.

The players agree that Wagman’s perspective on coaching helps them develop the skills they need for games.

“Overall, I enjoy the drills she does; it helps us perfect certain skills,” left back April Htut said.

Despite her love of the game, Wagman chose to take another career path, and is currently pursuing a profession in physical therapy.

Although the team ended their season in the second round of the playoffs, the seniors of the team appreciated the time and effort Wagman put into their season.

“She spent a lot of her time planning practices and game plans, and she knew her players really well,” Htut said. “It was great having a coach that was really dedicated.”