Gilbert needs to find a new home

Gilbert has done nothing to help the Wizards recently, and has actually hurt the team. Photo courtesy espn.com.

With all the hype of rookie John Wall and the developing Washington Wizards, misfit guard Gilbert Arenas has flown under the radar. Due to his recent decisions and poor play, he should be waived.

Over the past two years, Wizards fans have seen Arenas go from MVP candidate and all-star to an injury riddled gun crazy fiend. The mere fact that Arenas pulled out a few guns in the locker room over a card game easily shows how stable a guy like Gilbert is.

The question that now looms over the heads of all Wizards fans is what should be done with Arenas? The biggest problem is his enormous contract that Wizards GM Ernie Grunfeld idiotically signed with Arenas.  In 2008, Arenas agreed to a six year contract, worth $111 million.  He currently makes around $18 million a year, which is more than the max contract salary this past offseason. All of the big three players on the Heat are paid less than Gilbert, who is currently one of the top five highest paid point guards in the league.

The best possible option for the Wizards is to trade Arenas to another team. However, teams don’t want to pay such a high contract to a player who is incredibly injury prone and is inconsistent with his numbers when he actually plays.  There is almost no chance anyone is willing to pick up Arenas.

The Wizards also have to get rid of Arenas to make room for the new face of the team: John Wall. Wall is playing spectacular basketball so far and is already a household name in the Washington area. Let’s face it, when Gilbert plays, he’s a ball hog. Gilbert’s selfish play could destroy the young Wizards team. The Wizards need to move on and develop their young and talented players.

So what is there to do with Arenas? I believe the Wizards should have found a way to cut him after the firearm incident, but they didn’t seize that opportunity.  Now the Wizards have Gilbert for four more years, costing them close to $20 million a year.

Arenas considered retirement this offseason, which would have actually been a blessing for the team, but it appears that was just a cry for attention. He then resorted to faking an injury to get him even more attention.

There really is no way to get rid of Arenas, unless he suddenly starts playing like he did several years ago. He is likely to play the 6th man to keep the team’s chemistry in balance. So it looks like the Wizards are stuck with him for the next four years, but Grunfeld should correct his mistake and do everything he can to get rid of Gilbert.