Baseball falls to Sherwood 3–1

[score id=”49809″ align=”right”]

Pitcher Sean Cook gears up to throw a fastball in the first inning. Cook pitched a gem, pitching six and two-third's innings while allowing zero earned runs. Photo by Annabelle Gordon.
Pitcher Sean Cook gears up to throw a fastball in the first inning. Cook pitched a gem, pitching six and two-third’s innings while allowing zero earned runs. Photo by Annabelle Gordon.

The baseball team (9–2) fell to the undefeated Sherwood Warriors 3–1 on Thursday in a hard fought, low scoring game.

Through the first five innings, neither team could get on the scoreboard. In the sixth inning, the Vikes broke the tie with a base hit by left fielder Noah Clement.

Unfortunately, the lead was short lived. Only one out away from victory, the Vikes had multiple errors which caused them to lose the lead. The Warriors scored three runs in the seventh inning that put the game out of reach for the Vikings.

“We lost focus for a little bit at the end of the game and Sherwood is a really good team so they were able to capitalize on that,” pitcher Nathan Haddon said. “We had the game won and we didn’t finish.”

A stellar defensive showing lead by pitcher Sean Cook kept the Vikings in the game despite the weak offensive performance.

“Sean Cook kept the ball low and in the strike zone and our defense did a great job,” Haddon said. “Cook fought and threw a great game.”

The squad’s next game is home against the Blair Blazers Monday at 7:00.