Talent Show 2k16 pushes the limits

12795030_1148673971839567_5595732213299903801_o
Drumline’s performance at Talent Show never fails to stun audiences. Photos courtesy of Whitman Drama, by Michael Barsky and Kate Currie.

Strobes of vibrant green and purple lights and dramatic fog accompanied outstanding singing, dancing and acting performances at this year’s talent show March 22 and 23.

This year’s theme was the Outer Limits— this Sci-Fi take on the event depicted many dimensions in the skits and performances.

“[The theme is] about the different dimensions and kind of a Sci-Fi take on music,” assistant producer Delaney Corcoran said.

This year’s talent show differed from other years’ due to unique song choices and a focus on talents other than singing.

12525248_1148674041839560_4132394043657030831_o
Senior Rian Adamian plays the bass guitar. Photos courtesy of Whitman Drama, by Michael Barsky and Kate Currie.
“The main difference this year was the variety of acts,” breakdancer Justin Navratil said. “Talent show is usually bands, but this year there were many dancers incorporated into the show as well as very interesting and unconventional music. It definitely made the show more exciting.”

Many hours of effort went into this year’s talent show.

“A lot of work and rehearsals go into talent show,” singer Lucas Polack said. “Acts and performers have in-home rehearsals with the directors. They also stay at school for very long hours— on Saturdays, from 9 Am to 9 Pm.”

The work of the cast and crew paid off— the crowd cheered for acts such as Grace Kelly sung by Ari Gutman, Hallelujah sung by Carly Chopin, and Supremacy sung by Jack Barret.

“I really liked this year’s songs and performances,” junior Lena Enciso-Feldman said. “Every act was great with their music and colorful lighting, especially on the walls. I also enjoyed the skits.”

The cast and crew was satisfied with the show, producer and singer Ari Gutman said.

“The highlight of talent show is absolutely when everyone comes onstage at the end for finale,” Gutman said. “It’s awesome to be able to spend a couple minutes dancing with everyone you’ve worked so hard with.”