Boys lacrosse falls to Sherwood 12–9
Girls lacrosse suffers first loss of the season to Sherwood 16–11

Q&A with Whitman idol winner Stefanie Abramowitz

The auditorium was packed this Wednesday for Whitman Idol, a night full of well-rehearsed songs, successful accompaniments, and witty comments from teacher judges. Junior Stefanie Abramowitz won for singing “Feeling Good” by Nina Simone, accompanied by Ellie Trainor.

When did you first start singing? Did you know from the start that you loved it?
The first time I sang for an audience was in 5th grade, and I knew from the minute I started that I loved it.

Who were your supporters? Who helped you get to this point?
I’ve had great support from all of my friends and family for always coming out to my performances, and voice lessons helped too. Everyone coming to see me is such a good feeling.

Whitman idol Stefanie Abramowitz performs in the opening song in Whitman idol. Abramowitz won after singing "Feeling Good" by Nina Simone.
Whitman idol Stefanie Abramowitz performs in the opening song in Whitman idol. Abramowitz won after singing “Feeling Good” by Nina Simone.

Who was your music role model?
I don’t really have one specific role model just because I listen to so many artists, and love a ton of different styles.

What is your favorite memory of singing?
Looking back on it now, it was pretty cringe, but my favorite memory was when I got the lead in the 6th grade play at Pyle. It was a moment I’ll always remember because it was special. I was so young and got the role— call me a theater nerd, but it was just a really good feeling.

What went into the preparation of your song and why did you choose it?
This actually wasn’t the original song that I had planned to do, but they didn’t want me to sing the songs that I had originally picked. So a friend was just like, “why don’t you sing ‘Feeling Good’?” And I know that song, it’s a classic, so I thought, “why not?” My pianist, Ellie Trainor, was also so talented that we really only needed to practice one time, and it worked out fine.

Are you nervous on stage? How does this impact your performance?
I might visibly look nervous on stage sometimes because it’s hard to not be a little shaky, but I’m very comfortable on stage. It really helps because it becomes so easy to breathe. When you’re nervous, your voice shakes, or your heart’s pounding really fast and you can’t fill your lungs with enough air. But when you’re comfortable, it feels like the best thing in the world. It feels like it’s more comfortable than going up to someone and speaking to them. It’s just indescribable; you’re just not afraid to push yourself and try new things on the spot.

What’s it like seeing the entire crowd from the stage? How does it look/make you feel?
Well, you can only see the first few rows because the light is so bright. I also choose not to look at people when I’m singing because it’s awkward to make eye contact with someone when you’re singing. Half the time I’m closing my eyes because I’m really feeling the music, but I also just stare at the back wall pretty often.

How does winning Whitman Idol make you feel?
Honestly, the fact that I even got to get on stage, sing that song, make people feel happy and feel so loved was a better reward than actually winning. I’m just really happy because I’ve also wanted to win it for so long. Since freshman year I’ve always wanted it, and it’s such an honor. But it’s even greater of an honor to be able to perform and have all your friends watching you.

What are you planning to do in the future with singing?
I’m not in love with the celebrity-type career—I’m not sure about that lifestyle. It would be amazing if I could do little gigs on the side, like concerts at small stages, like the 9:30 Club. You know, just here and there. But I definitely don’t want to stop. I just feel so lucky that I get to perform, and I want to use it for the rest of my life.