LIVE: Boys volleyball takes on Poolesville in second round of playoffs

Wrestling tops Churchill 51-24 in season opener, Fenton wins 100th match

The wrestling team (2–0) remained undefeated with a 51–24 victory over the Churchill Bulldogs Tuesday.

The Vikings dominated early, with a decision vivtory from 285lb. Jacob Winch and pins by 106lb. Chris Habibian and 113lb. Clark Boinis, putting the team up 15–0.

The Bulldogs rebounded, with some of their best wrestlers—including state contenders Jack Connolly and J.J. Bravo—overpowering their Viking opponents, who were all first and second year wrestlers, to take a short–lived lead.

Down 24–21, the Vikes mounted their comeback, starting win due by forfeit for 152lb. Mitch Fenton. It was Fenton’s 100th career victory.

Fenton said that while he was proud of his achievement, it paled in comparison to his ultimate ambition for the season.

“It’s a nice accomplishment, but I really only have one goal this year, and that’s to be a state champ,” he said.

The Vikings extended their lead with hard–fought decisions from 160lb. Hamoon Shokoohinia and 170lb. Braedon McKee. The team rounded out the contest with three second–period pins: 182lb. Marcos Solloso, 195lb. Ezra Alexander and 220lb. John-Luke Iglesias all triumphed in their matches.

The win demonstrated that the Vikings can compete with the county’s elite programs, Fenton said.

“The team proved to the county that we’re a force to be reckoned with,” he said. “We rolled over Churchill, who was supposed to be one of the top teams, and we’re only getting better.”

The team will next face the Richard Montgomery Rockets Saturday at 1.