Rethinking Title I: Leveraging FARMS data for equitable funding in MCPS
LIVE: Baseball takes on Crofton in state semifinals
NAIA bans postseason competition for transgender and nonbinary athletes
Girls lacrosse falls to Broadneck 16–8 in state semifinal
Baseball defeats Montgomery Blair 7–3 in state quarterfinals
Softball falls to Walter Johnson 7–4 in regional finals

Weekly news roundup: November 11

Photo courtesy of Wikimedia.
Photo courtesy of Wikimedia.

University of Missouri protests cause President to step down
President Timothy M. Wolfe resigned after months of protests against racism and other issues at the University. Many protested against the school’s persistent racism, its severing of ties with Planned Parenthood and its later-reversed decision to stop providing health care to its graduate teachers. The decision to step down followed the football team’s threat of boycott. The controversy has sparked protest as well as threats of violence against African-American students.
Click here to learn about the protests and its results.

Report details alleged state-sponsored doping program in Russia
The independent report, written by The World Anti-Doping Agency, could result in track and field athletes being banned from the 2016 Olympics. Russian officials initially denounced the allegations, but later acknowledged that there is a problem. Further investigation will be conducted by Interpol. Read here about some of the most striking allegations, which include bribes and extortion, intimidation of drug testers, and the destruction of hundreds of samples.

Fox hosts Republican debate
After intense criticism of CNBC moderators in the previous debate, Fox Business Network promised a “real debate.” In comparison to the past debates, it featured more exchanges on important issues like immigration reform and national security. This was the first Republican debate this year with less than 10 candidates on the stage; Mike Huckabee and Chris Christie were relegated to the undercard debate. Click here to learn more about the debate.