Boys lacrosse falls to Sherwood 12–9
Girls lacrosse suffers first loss of the season to Sherwood 16–11

Bdubbs bakes: Rosh Hashanah recipes

This year, Rosh Hashanah, the Jewish New Year, is celebrated from sundown on Sept. 13 to the evening of Sept. 15. It signifies the beginning of the Jewish High Holy Days (Yamim Noraim). Rosh Hashanah is one of four new years in the Jewish year, marking the new year of people, animals and legal contracts. Yom Kippur, the “day of atonement,” follows Rosh Hashanah ten days later.

While Rosh Hashanah is a day of prayer and self-reflection, it’s also about food. Throughout Rosh Hashanah, you will hear people greeting each other with, “Shana tova u’metukah—a good and sweet new year.” Traditionally, this sweet new year is celebrated with apples and honey, noodle kugel and, in my family, spinach soufflé.

So, to bring in the new year, here are three of my family’s favorite Rosh Hashanah recipes. Shana tova u’metukah!

Grandma’s Noodle Kugel (serves 14):

Photo by Grace Steinwurtzel
Photo by Grace Steinwurtzel

½ cup unsalted butter (extra is needed to butter the baking dish)
¾ cup raisins
6 large eggs
7 ounces cottage cheese
2 cups sour cream
1 orange
12 ounces wide egg noodles
2 cups whole milk
½ cup sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla paste
1 pinch kosher salt

1. Preheat the oven to 350° Fahrenheit. Butter a 9-by-13 inch baking dish.
2. In a medium bowl, zest the orange, but do not throw it away—you’ll need it later.
3. In a small bowl, juice the orange and combine with the raisins. Set the bowl aside to soak.
4. In a large saucepan, cook the noodles according to the directions on the package. Strain the noodles and return them back to the pot.
5. While the noodles cook, combine the eggs, sour cream, cottage cheese, milk, sugar, vanilla paste, salt and cinnamon with the orange zest. Whisk the mixture. Add the raisins and 1 tablespoon of the remaining juice.
6. Cut the butter into small pieces and put it in the pot of noodles. Toss until melted. Add the egg mixture, stirring gently until combined.
7. Pour the noodles into the buttered baking dish. Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until the top is brown.
Serve hot or at room temperature.

Spinach and Cheddar Soufflé (serves 6):

Photo by Grace Steinwurtzel
Photo by Grace Steinwurtzel

3 tablespoons unsalted butter (extra is needed to butter the baking dish)
¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese (extra is needed for sprinkling)
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
½ cup grated cheddar cheese
1 package frozen chopped spinach, squeezed dry and defrosted
1 cup scalded milk
¼ teaspoon nutmeg
Pinch of cayenne pepper
4 large egg yolks, room temperature
5 egg whites, room temperature
¼ teaspoon cream of tartar
Kosher salt
½ teaspoon ground black pepper

1. Preheat the oven to 400° Fahrenheit. Butter a 6-to-8-cup soufflé dish. Sprinkle evenly and lightly with Parmesan.
2. Over low heat, melt the butter in a small saucepan. Stir in the flour and cook, stirring constantly, for two minutes.
3. Remove the saucepan from the heat, and whisk in the hot milk, nutmeg, cayenne pepper, a pinch of salt and the ½ teaspoon ground pepper. Return to low heat, stirring constantly, for one minute.
4. Remove the pan from the heat, and whisk in the egg yolks, one-by-one. Stir in the Cheddar cheese, Parmesan and spinach.
5. Transfer to an extra-large mixing bowl.
6. Put the cream of tartar, a pinch of salt and the egg whites in the bowl of an electric mixer (equipped with a whisk attachment). Beat on low speed for one minute, on medium speed for one minute and on high speed until firm, shiny “waves” form (can take a little time, be patient).
7. Whisk a quarter of the egg white mixture into the cheese sauce. Gently and gradually fold in the rest of the mixture.
8. Pour into the soufflé dish, and evenly smooth out the top. Turn the oven down to 375° Fahrenheit. Bake for 32–36 minutes until lightly-browned and puffy. (Don’t peek into the oven while it’s baking, or the soufflé will deflate).
Serve hot.

Apples and Honey (serves 6):

Photo by Grace Steinwurtzel
Photo by Grace Steinwurtzel

While this dish seems simple, its symbolism is significant. The sweetness of the apples and honey represents the sweet year that has yet to come. Apples also represent the Garden of Eden, which is said to have the scent of an apple orchard.
7 Fuji apples (You can use whatever kind of apple you prefer)
Honey
Cinnamon

1. Slice the apples.
2. Drizzle with honey, sprinkle with cinnamon, and serve!