Boys lacrosse falls to Sherwood 12–9
Girls lacrosse suffers first loss of the season to Sherwood 16–11

Commonly confused emojis

They say a picture is worth a thousand words. But how many words do 866 small digital pictures on an iPhone keyboard speak? Quite a few, and it can get pretty darn confusing. Some of the intended meanings have gotten lost in translation. Here’s some examples:

1. Let’s play a game: spot the difference between

and .

I’ll give you a hint—it’s in the eyes. Give up yet? The first emoji is a “grinning face with smiling eyes,” and the second is a “grimacing face,” although they are both commonly mistaken as portraying displeasure.

third

2. I hate to break it to you, but this emoji isn’t a pair of ballet dancers. These ladies might be classically trained, but really it’s meant to be a not-so-innocent replica of the Playboy Bunny (peep the bunny ears).

fourth

3. Peace sign, right? Not quite. The actual title of this emoji is a “victory hand.” Be careful sending this to a British friend because they actually consider it to be an obscene gesture similar to a middle finger, and you might just get one of those in return.

4. This emoji seems to say “duh.” But what she’s really trying to say is, “Hi, how may I help you?” Remove the hair flick and sarcasm and you get an “information desk person” or a receptionist offering her services. I think this kind lady would be quite offended that we all think she’s sassing us.

seventh

5. Lastly, everyone’s favorite emoji isn’t supposed to be something found on the bottom of your shoe or in the toilet, but better yet on top of a waffle cone. It’s intended to be a smiling swirl of chocolate soft serve, but has somehow morphed… Just kidding, that’s really what you think it is.

Let this be a lesson for next time you try to mock your friend with a hair flick,

8

say “peace” to your British cousin,

fourth

or ask your sister how her ballet class was.

third

Things aren’t always what they seem.