LIVE: Boys volleyball takes on Poolesville in second round of playoffs

Softball loses to Rockville 13-3

The Vikings softball team lost 13-3 to the Rockville Rams Thursday, capping off a three game home stand and dropping the team’s record to 3-8.

The Vikes made a valiant effort to come back in the sixth inning, stringing together five hits and scoring two runs, but didn’t have enough to get the win. Catcher Olivia Weals highlighted the Vikings’ strong hitting with a single and a double.

Vikes pitcher Taylor Shinaberry made her first varsity start after being brought up from the junior varsity squad on Tuesday. She pitched a combined 4 innings, and went 2-3 with a single, double, and run scored.

“Our bats really came alive in the end, to try and pull out a win,” said shortstop Jenny Williams, who hit a stand-up triple in the first inning. “We never gave up, even though we were losing late in the game. We encouraged each other through every play… and played as a team, which is the most important thing. We have great chemistry. No matter what the score is, we always manage to keep fighting.”

The Vikings’ next game is Saturday, when they will travel to face Watkins Mill.