LIVE: Boys volleyball takes on Poolesville in second round of playoffs

Softball suffers tough defeat 24-0 to Warriors

Despite a hard-fought defensive effort, the softball team lost 24-0 to the two-year defending state champion Sherwood Warriors Wednesday.

“When you’re playing a team like [Sherwood] – they’re state champions for a reason,” said assistant coach Karl O’Donoghue.

The Warriors’ starting pitcher Meggie Dejter tossed a one-hitter, allowing only a single to Vikings center fielder Leah Gordon. Dejter, a Towson University commit, also struck out eight in the complete game shutout.

Although the Vikes’ offensive struggled throughout, shortstop Jenny Williams put on a defensive clinic with a diving catch and stopping a runner from stealing second. Catcher Olivia Weals also played strong defense, forcing four Warrior runners out at home plate.

“I’m just really proud of how we kept our spirits up,” said outfielder Gennie Anderson. “With a team like Sherwood, it’s easy to beat yourself up about every little mistake, but we held our heads high and played until the end … we just need to remember what we did [right], try to stay positive, and play our game.”

The 3-7 Vikings hope to get back into the win column when they face Rockville tomorrow at home.