The evolution of tipping culture
Baseball advances to regional finals after beating Churchill 2–1
The best movies to watch to study for your AP history exam
A guide to the May 14th Primary Elections
HVAC system malfunction causes evacuation, disrupts student testing
Girls lacrosse falls to Sherwood 10–9 in county championships

Spring athletes give up break to train

While most of Whitman students spent their spring break enjoying the beach, visiting colleges or simply relaxing, spring athletes used their vacation time to improve their skills and prepare for the remainder of the season.

The boys lacrosse team traveled to Rye, NY to take part in the annual Northeastern tournament. Although the team could only pull out one victory, it came close in almost all of its games.

“The teams up there were very well coached and it was a higher paced game,” captain Pat Slawta says. “But I feel like overall it let us know that we could compete with anyone if we hustle and work at our game.”

The tough competition at the tournament will help prepare the boys for tougher opponents whom they may see in the postseason, such as Churchill (5-1), Wootton (5-3) and Sherwood (2-2).

“The intensity was good for our team to experience because playing Wootton is always a faster paced game,” Slawta says. “The game is always significantly different.”

Meanwhile, baseball players went to Florida to stay fresh for the season and get a taste of competition from around the country. Juniors and a few JV players made the journey to Tampa and played for the Tri-City Monarchs, Whitman’s unofficial team in the tournament.

“We went to see teams from across the country and see how we looked against them,” shortstop Michael Flack says. “We didn’t take it too seriously, but we still wanted to play some baseball over the break, so it was a good compromise.”

Although the teams at the tournament were not as good as some local teams, the outing allowed the boys to keep their skills sharp.

“Those games weren’t as serious as our regular season games,’ Flack says. “But nevertheless, we got to stay fresh for the season and see some different competition, which can never hurt.”

The crew team participated in local tournaments as well and also held two a days to stay in shape. The boys team placed second out of four teams in a tournament and placed fourth in a larger scrimmage held by St. Andrew’s.

Most of the team’s work over spring break is leading up to the main event of the year, the Stotesbury Cup, which takes place in mid May.

Although the competition varied from sport to sport, spring athletes found ways to stay in shape and see other teams to prepare for the remainder of their seasons.