SGA organizes book drive to benefit local elementary school

A childhood without books is like a cookie without chocolate chips: the absence of such a wonderful ingredient reduces the quality of the entire experience.

The SGA is holding its second book drive for Oak View Elementary School, giving all of their students the chance to incorporate books into their childhood.  There will be a box for donations outside the main office until April 4.

Oak View Elementary School is located in a lower income area and doesn’t receive many educational funds.  SGA advisor Sheryl Freedman said that Oak View’s PTA will sell the donated books at a used book fair, and will then use the profits to buy various school supplies and musical instruments.

The SGA is collecting books to benefit Oak View Elementary. Last year, they collected five boxes of books and hopes to receive seven boxes this year. Photo by Julia Pearl-Schwartz.
The SGA is collecting books to benefit Oak View Elementary. Last year, they collected five boxes of books and hope to receive seven boxes this year. Photo by Julia Pearl-Schwartz.

“All these used books go for like 25 cents each,” junior class officer and book drive coordinator Mia Carmel said.  “It’s cool for the kids cause they can spend a quarter on a book and get basically as many as they want.”

Last year, Whitman donated five boxes of books, and Carmel said she hopes to top that record by giving seven boxes this year.

“It’s actually a huge fundraiser for the PTA there, so it’s a good cause,” she said.  “After everything with LLS month it’s sort of good to shift our focus as a school to other things.”

Carmel also said that the process of setting up the drive was relatively simple. She publicized it by creating fliers and a Facebook group, and sent out Whitnet messages to inform the community.

“It’s something that involves minimal effort but can make a big impact,” Freedman said.  “It’s just another way to reach parts of the community, especially our local community.”