“12 Years a Slave,” “Gravity” win big at Oscars

Featuring various musical performances, nostalgic video montages and beautiful people, the 86th annual Academy Awards did not disappoint. Ellen DeGeneres hosted for her second time, opening the show with good-natured and effortlessly funny jokes. She stayed strong throughout the show, at one point delivering pizza to the designer-clad nominees. The theme this year was “Heroes in Hollywood,” with periodic breaks in the awards presentation to pay tribute to heroes in animated and feature film, as well as members of the movie industry who had passed away.

“12 Years a Slave” and “Gravity” were the big winners of the night, with the former winning Best Picture and the latter winning a total of seven Oscars. The Best Picture nominees were even more intriguing this year than in the past because the majority of them were based on true events, including “Captain Phillips” and “Philomena.”

Jared Leto (who’s hair was longer and glossier than that of any other leading lady) deservingly won Best Supporting Actor for his role as a HIV positive transgender woman in “Dallas Buyers Club.” Kenyan actress Lupita Nyong’o accepted Best Supporting Actress for her role as the horribly abused slave Patsey in “12 Years a Slave.” She gave a beautifully humble acceptance speech that was a touching tribute to the real life counterpart to her character.

Matthew McConaughey, from left, holds his award for best actor for his role in "Dallas Buyers Club", Cate Blanchett holds her award for best actress in "Blue Jasmine", Lupita Nyong'o holds her award for best supporting actress for "12 Years a Slave," and Jared Leto holds his award for best supporting actor in "Dallas Buyers Club" in the press room during the Oscars at the Dolby Theatre on Sunday, March 2, 2014, in Los Angeles.  (Photo by Jordan Strauss/Invision/AP)
Matthew McConaughey, from left, holds his award for best actor for his role in “Dallas Buyers Club”, Cate Blanchett holds her award for best actress in “Blue Jasmine,” Lupita Nyong’o holds her award for best supporting actress for “12 Years a Slave,” and Jared Leto holds his award for best supporting actor in “Dallas Buyers Club” in the press room during the Oscars at the Dolby Theatre Sunday, March 2 in Los Angeles. (Photo by Jordan Strauss/Invision/AP)

“Frozen” came out on top in the animated category, winning Best Animated Feature Film. This is the first Oscar win for Walt Disney Animation Studios as Disney-owned Pixar had been dominating the category since its creation in 2002. The win was well-deserved, as “Frozen” will easily become a Disney classic, ranking up there with such greats as “The Lion King” and “Beauty and the Beast.” “Frozen” also won Best Original Song for “Let It Go.”

Cate Blanchett won Best Actress for her role in the Woody Allen film “Blue Jasmine.” She was a favorite to win the Academy Award after sweeping the other nominees earlier in the awards season. Blanchett even beat out Oscar Queen Meryl Streep, who was nominated for her role in “August: Osage County.”

Matthew McConaughey won his first ever Oscar for Best Actor for his role in “Dallas Buyers Club.” The win was well-deserved since he lost an incredible amount of weight and intensely committed to his character. Leonardo DiCaprio unfortunately continued his streak of never winning an Oscar despite being nominated a total of four times.

There were a total of five musical performances sprinkled throughout the show, but for the most part they were low energy and somewhat boring. Pharrell Williams (and his hat) performed his Oscar nominated song “Happy” from the movie “Despicable Me 2.” His was perhaps the most entertaining of the night, with colorful lights, adorable young dancers, great vocals and high energy.

Popular artists such as U2 and Idina Menzel performed the other Best Original Song nominees, which included “Ordinary Love” from “Mandela,” “Moonsong” from “Her” and “Let It Go” from “Frozen.”

This year’s Academy Awards show was a sensational celebration of the best in the movie industry. None of the winners came as a surprise and all were well-deserving of the Oscar.