Boys volleyball takes down Seneca Valley 3–1

HBO’s “True Detective” has promise, lacks intensity

With “Breaking Bad” ending last year, “How I Met Your Mother” ending this year and “Mad Men” ending next year, many could use a new show with which to get obsessed.

Fortunately, HBO’s new series “True Detective” has the makings of being that very show.

HBO delves back into the American crime-fighting genre with which they found success when “The Wire” dominated network television from 2002 to 2008.

“True Detective” follows Louisiana state police detectives Rustin “Rust” Cohle (Matthew McConaughey) and Martin Hart (Woody Harrelson) who attempt to solve a murder mystery.

Matthew McConaughey, left, and Woody Harrelson from the HBO series "True Detective," premiering Jan. 12, at 9 p.m. EST. (AP Photo/HBO, Michele K. Short)
Matthew McConaughey, left, and Woody Harrelson from the HBO series “True Detective,” premiering Jan. 12, at 9 p.m. EST. (AP Photo/HBO, Michele K. Short)

Well, for the first season at least. Due to its anthological style, each season will have a completely different storyline with a new set of characters and new cast. That also means there likely won’t be a season-ending cliffhanger that lots of popular shows currently feature.

But that’s not the only reason “True Detective” stands out from other shows so far. While most crime dramas like” C.S.I” or “Law and Order” focus on solving crimes, “True Detective”—at least in the pilot—places more emphasis on characterization and atmosphere. There’s definitely potential for an interesting mystery, but the first episode just doesn’t go very far in developing that aspect of the narrative.

Nevertheless, the show remains an interesting watch due to strong acting from McConaughey. In a seemingly archetypal detective partnership, McConaughey’s character Rust is the rogue—yet brilliant—wildcard who makes you wonder what’s going on inside his head. By the end of the episode, I found that I cared more about figuring out Rust’s story than I did about resolving the murder. His mannerisms and one-liners are that great.

On top of character, the show’s setting also adds to its fresh spin on a classic genre. The show strays from a standard urban landscape with its rural small-town Louisiana set. As a result, the show’s cinematography stands out, transporting the audience into a more natural, gritty and realistic world.

“True Detective” isn’t perfect. At this point it lacks the gripping “at the edge of your seat” element on which shows like “Breaking Bad” or “Homeland” thrive. It has the potential to be great and is worth watching to see if it reaches excellence.

“True Detective” airs Sundays at 9p.m. on HBO.