LIVE: Boys volleyball takes on Poolesville in second round of playoffs

Senior gymnast excels at trampoline tumbling, diving

Senior Simon Carne, ran, jumped, and vaulted his way to being one of the top gymnasts in the country, making it to Nationals the past 11 years, and winning in 2010 and 2013.

Carne specializes in trampoline tumbling, which includes a sprint along a 25-meter-long track, before jumping on a trampoline and springing into the air and performing various moves. At age eight, Carne began participating in competitive tournaments. In 2010 and 2013, Carne won Nationals in the double mini trampoline event, which consists of a short sprint followed by a trampoline jump, launching the gymnast into a series of flips and twirls.

Mark Dixon has coached Carne since he started at Dynamite Gymnastics Center at age three and is a major influence on Carne’s life, in gymnastics and beyond.

“He tells me what I need to be working on, gives me corrections, spots me when doing new skills, goes with me to all competitions, helps me through mental blocks, talks to me on Skype outside of practice, helps me with homework, gives me advice when I have problems,” Carne said. “He’s like a second dad.”

Carne devotes at least four days a week to practicing gymnastics, and has recently put aside another day to teach children from three to eight years old the basics of gymnastics at Dynamite Gymnastics Center.

Carne plans to try out for the 2015 World Championship in Glasgow, Scotland, where over 500 gymnasts compete for gold, silver and bronze medals. Given that the majority of competitors are over the age of 20, Came expressed concerns about keeping up with the competition.

“I probably won’t make it, but it will be a great experience,” Carne said.

For the past four years, Carne has also been a member of the Whitman Dive Team, which took fifth place in Metros and States last year.

Carne plans to pursue diving in college because none of the schools Carne is interested in offer gymnastics. Schools including Drexel, Northeastern, Towson and University of Vermont have expressed interest in Carne. Swim and Dive coach Geoffrey Schaefer said Carne has the skills to do well in the realm of college diving.

“Phenomenal diver, great kid and he’s got the potential to go really far in the NCAA because of his dedication,” coach Geoffrey Schaefer said.