Ice Hockey defeats Walter Johnson, 9-1

WJ
The Ice Hockey team communicated well in its 9-1 victory. Photo by Tammy Hughes.

After winning the pre-season Frederick Cup, the Whitman ice hockey team won its regular season opener 9-1 over Walter Johnson.

Forward Andy Dexter started the Vikes’ scoring with a goal just five minutes into the first period. WJ then countered, scoring just two minutes later.

However, the game didn’t stay close for long, as the Vikings then scored eight unanswered goals, including five in the third period.

Defenseman Hunter Marder and forwards Ethan Weintraub and Jeff Marr led the Vikes in scoring with two goals each.

Goalie Zach Butler also played well, conceding one goal on 12 shots.

While the score line was decisive, the Vikings players were not completely happy with their play.

“Even though we won we were not playing as well as we know we can tonight, and that needs to change come Friday,” Dexter said. “We were just sloppy.”

The Vikes will try to improve their play and continue their early season success Friday, when they take on Sherwood at the Rockville Ice Arena.