NFL power rankings: Week 7

After seven weeks of fierce competition, the top teams in the NFL are battling to solidify a playoff spot. Here are the NFL’s 10 most impressive teams at the moment.

1.) Denver Broncos (6-0) – Peyton Manning has played at an absolutely ridiculous level this season and the Broncos’ offense is putting up record numbers. Manning is averaging over 360 passing yards per game and has thrown 22 touchdowns. The Broncos are averaging 44.2 points per game, the best in the NFL by almost 15 points. It’s tough to lose when an offense performs at such a high level. Additionally, the Broncos’ run defense ranks first in the league, partially because opposing offenses are playing catch-up so often.

2.) Seattle Seahawks (5-1)– Although the Seahawks have been far from perfect the last three weeks, they have demonstrated an ability to grind out victories. Even if the offense is struggling, the Seahawks’ elite defense has the power to turn the course of the game (ie: Richard Sherman’s pick six against the Texans). The offense will only become more explosive with the addition of Percy Harvin, who is reportedly nearing a return date.

3.) New England Patriots (5-1)– No matter how many integral players the Patriots lose to injury, they find ways to replace them and continue to uphold their tradition of winning. Tom Brady’s young receivers, Kenbrell Thompkins and Aaron Dobson, have progressed each week and the offense will become even more dangerous when Rob Gronkowski makes his long-awaited return.

4.) New Orleans Saints (5-1)– Rejuvenated by the return of head coach Sean Payton, the 2013 Saints were a last-second Tom Brady touchdown pass awafrom an undefeated record. The offense is clicking, with Drew Brees and Jimmy Graham leading the way. The defense is playing surprisingly well, and has bounced back after setting the all-time record for yards allowed in a season in 2012.

5.) Kansas City Chiefs (6-0)– While the Chiefs have a middle of the pack offense, the Kansas City defense has arguably been the best in the league. They are allowing 10.8 points per game, the best average in the league, and have sacked opposing quarterbacks 31 times just six weeks into the season. Alex Smith has done exactly what the Chiefs had hoped—provide a steady level of performance at the quarterback position. Despite the Chiefs’ undefeated record, they have yet to play a high-level football team.

6.) Indianapolis Colts (4-2)– Andrew Luck has looked great this season. Despite Monday’s loss to the Chargers, the Colts defense has performed well and the acquisition of Trent Richardson has strengthened the Colts’ ability to run the ball. They are the only team to beat the Seahawks, a popular Super Bowl pick, this season.

7.) Cincinnati Bengals (4-2)– Despite quarterback Andy Dalton’s inconsistency, the Bengals have one of the best defenses in the entire NFL. A.J. Green is a top five receiver in the NFL, and the Bengals’ impressive tight end corps is a red zone asset.

8.) San Francisco 49ers (4-2)– Although Colin Kaepernick has failed to live up to his preseason expectations, the 49ers can rely on Frank Gore and an elite offensive line to wear down opposing defenses. Vernon Davis is the best tight end in the entire NFL and he seems to be gelling with Kaepernick. Once dynamic receiver Michael Crabtree returns from his Achilles tear, the 49ers receiving corps will be among the best in the league. As always, the 49ers defense is incredibly solid, anchored by linebackers Patrick Willis and Navarro Bowman.

9.) Detroit Lions (4-2)– Calvin Johnson is the best receiver in the entire NFL, and when he is on the field he draws coverage away from other targets. He opens the field up for other receivers and Matthew Stafford. Additionally, Reggie Bush has proved to be a crucial part of the new Lions offense and has demonstrated some of the dynamism that became his trademark at USC so long ago.

10.) Chicago Bears (4-2)– While the Bears’ defense is currently living off turnovers, Jay Cutler is getting help from receivers other than Brandon Marshall for once. Alshon Jeffery is emerging to be a reliable target and tight end Martellus Bennett is an excellent red zone option.