Despite loss in “Roar” contest, students focus on improved unity

Whitman’s hopes of winning a personal, televised concert by Katy Perry ended Friday, as the fifth finalist of the “Roar” contest was announced on Good Morning America.

Lakewood (CO), Spanish Springs (NV), Cooper (TX), Verrado (AZ) and Pickerington (OH) High Schools are the five finalists who are still in the running for a concert hosted on Perry’s birthday and an appearance on Good Morning America.

Whitman’s “Roar” video has over 72,000 views on YouTube as of Oct. 13, and has been covered by major news outlets including Fox 5 News, the Gazette and the Washington Post. It was also retweeted by Bethesda Magazine, columnist E.J. Dionne, NBC reporter David Gregory and an account entitled “The Katy Perry Report”, which tweets updates about Perry, though it’s not affiliated with her.

The leadership class displayed enthusiasm and optimism despite the loss. SGA president Jorge Richardson posted his reaction to the news on Facebook, emphasizing the recognition Whitman received and the widespread reach of the video.

“Over the last few weeks, Whitman has gained an identity… kids from all across the globe have seen our video, and all envy the huge amounts of school spirit and love we have here at Whitman,” Richardson wrote. “This contest has given us a sense of unity not only within the parameters of our school, but in our community and beyond.”

In addition, principal Alan Goodwin made an announcement at the end of the day Friday, saying how proud he was of students’ school spirit and camaraderie. The winning school will be announced Oct. 18 on Good Morning America and the televised concert will take place Oct. 25.

“I’m most proud of how the school rallied behind it and how from start to finish, from filming to publicity and spreading the word, kids have been so positive about the entire thing,” said senior Elizabeth Meyer, who helped to organize the production. “The absolute best part has been seeing everyone’s reactions and watching the school come together.”