LIVE: Boys volleyball takes on Poolesville in second round of playoffs
Boys volleyball stuns Springbrook 3–0

Broken light in stadium delays key boys soccer match-up

A broken light on the stadium field has caused a key boys soccer match-up to be delayed and changed to an away game.

The game, against the 5-0 Gaithersburg Trojans, was originally scheduled for Tuesday and was later shifted back to Wednesday. The light has still not been fixed and the game is scheduled to be an away game at Gaithersburg, Friday Oct. 4.

The light is one of four surrounding the field and had a breaker blow during the girls soccer game on Sept. 30. Both head coaches and referees agreed to continue playing the game that was at halftime when the blowout occurred, athletic director Andy Wetzel said.

“There is nothing you can do about it,” Wetzel said. “It happens all the time. It doesn’t happen here all the time but it happens in your house, it happens everywhere.”

Wetzel was hopeful the missing part would be in by Wednesday morning so the game could be played that night but it never arrived. He now hopes the issue will be resolved this week.

The team itself has been frustrated with the process and is just looking to get on the field.

“It’s been extremely frustrating,” senior Kourosh Ashtary-Yazdi said.

With the game being moved to Gaithersburg, the Vikes will now lose a key divisional home game.

“We really enjoy playing games at home,” junior Ryan Rush said. “Now we just need to focus on winning our next game.”