LIVE: Boys volleyball takes on Poolesville in second round of playoffs

Boys soccer suffers heartbreaking first loss of season against Marriotts Ridge, 1-0

The boys soccer team opened up its season with a 1-0, heartbreaking loss in overtime to Marriotts Ridge.

The Vikes had hoped to be in control with strong performances from senior midfielder Vegas Kastberg and senior forward Emmanuel Kanneh who both returned from D.C. United Soccer Academy to play with the Vikes for their final season.

“I thought tonight was a great performance as a team,” Kastberg said.  “We worked hard together and our ball movement was unmatched.”

Despite a strong outing, the game was decided on a breakaway goal by Marriotts Ridge senior forward Jeff Kammerer with 3:07 left in the first 10 minute overtime period.

Sophomore David Mason contributed on the offensive side of the ball with several shots, however, despite many chances, the Vikes were not able to put the ball in the back of the net.

“We have to be more precise with our shots and stay composed in front of the goal,” Kastberg said.

The Vikes will visit Quince Orchard this Tuesday to try and secure their first win of the season.