The best movies to watch to study for your AP history exam
A guide to the May 14th Primary Elections
HVAC system malfunction causes evacuation, disrupts student testing
Girls lacrosse falls to Sherwood 10–9 in county championships
Whitman ranked second-best high school in Maryland, 139th nationally
Baseball falls to Magruder 10–9

Baseball falls to Magruder 10–9

The Hoyas prevail in final Syracuse-Georgetown face-off

The Georgetown Hoyas and the Syracuse Orange ended their seasons and series rivalry forever at the Verizon Center March 9. The Hoyas completed a season sweep over the Orange with Saturday’s win in front of a record-breaking 20,972 fan crowd.

Syracuse forward C.J. Fair dribbles the basketball against Georgetown forward Otto Porter Jr. during the final Syracuse-Georgetown game. This famous rivalry ended with a Georgetown win. AP Photo/Nick Wass.

Because of Syracuse’s recent decision to switch conferences and move to the ACC, the game was the last time the two rivals will face each other. The schools have been major rivals since the John Thompson II era. Hoya greats Patrick Ewing, Alonzo Mourning and Michael Graham were all in attendance to witness the last affair between the two Big East teams.

As the Georgetown players were being introduced, students unveiled a huge banner with a picture of Jack the Bulldog slicing open Syracuse mascot Otto the Orange reading “Our Hatred Is Eternal.” Students jumped up and down and the game tipped off just after noon. The Verizon Center was packed full of grey, blue and orange. Syracuse fans attempted to cheer but “Hoya Saxa” and “We are Georgetown” cheers quickly drowned them out.

Syracuse opened the game’s scoring with a lay-up, sending Orange fans into a roar — but Georgetown’s Markel Starks quickly hit a three-pointer to put the Hoyas ahead, a trend that would continue throughout the game. Starks and fellow guard D’ Vauntes Smith-Rivera came out on fire showing leadership over national standout Georgetown forward Otto Porter, who struggled to overcome the double-team defense for the whole first half.

At the half, the Hoyas led 25-18, marking a relatively low scoring game for two offensive powerhouses.

The second half began and the Hoyas came out on fire hitting threes from NBA range and hitting tough jump shots over Syracuse’s tight, well-executed defense. The Hoyas scored nine unanswered points, extending their lead to 32-18 just a few minutes into the second half. Although the game seemed as if it were getting out of reach for the Orange, Syracuse guard Michael Carter-Williams — who finished with 17 points — continued to try to spark a come back. Unfortunately for the Orange, Georgetown couldn’t miss from the field, shooting 42% overall.

Neither team drove through the paint much, so fouls were scarce on both sides, creating a fast-moving game that lasted just shy of two hours. The Hoya’s impressive shooting and the Orange’s lack of offensive movement led Georgetown to the 61-39 victory. NBA prospect Otto Porter still managed to finish with 10 points, seven assists and eight rebounds, but the main story of the game was Markel Starks. The junior, a Maryland native, played all 40 minutes on the floor and finished with five assists and 19 points.

College basketball fans can argue as much as they want that UNC-Duke is the greatest rivalry in the history of the game, but Syracuse and Georgetown fans beg to differ. The Orange and Hoyas have played through blood, sweat and tears for years now and have created one of the most intense rivalries in the sports world. Georgetown and Syracuse may never play each other again, but in the words of the Georgetown students, “Our Hatred Is Eternal.”